Friday, December 14, 2018

Patience, It’s Worth It!



“How are you so patient? How can you be so careful? How are you not annoyed right now?” are some common questions I’m often asked, when I start working on my paintings. Well, you may ponder why I am confronted with such questions. How can the act of painting be an annoying activity? … Or what does she do to make it annoying? must be some burning questions popping up in your head right now, isn’t it so dear reader? :)

Since my early days in school, a time where I had to travel in a van at 6.00 am, dressed in the box pleated white uniform, black Clark-shoes and purple tie, I’ve always developed a fondness to dabble in paints and colours. The way a simple drop of water can create a cascade of shades in one brush stroke was always a sight that never bored me. The way I was able to recreate my imagined scenarios and scenes of the busy market, a day at the beach, an evening sunset or simply a moment of childhood happiness at the playground, with expressions, movements and colour, were always a source of much internal satisfaction and pure joy as a novice painter.

Yet unfortunately, as much as I loved the paints and the colours, sometimes I think they might not have loved me as much. Well reader, if you’re thinking why, then the answer is that I was quite terrible at drawing people and their emotions. Although, I would like to think I always had imagined beautiful scenarios, I always noticed a gap in my skill to translate that same image into a physical recreation. Even though, designing and the cultivation of artistic patterns came naturally to me, I could not muster the same skill when drawing fellow human beings. It was not just I who noticed this weakness, but my art teachers would constantly complain of my two-dimensional people, with their cartoon expressions.

Fast forward to my final years in school, where I proudly trotted around in my long senior-tie, I discovered that I was not completely terrible in my artistic endeavours, and that I had a certain painting skill not many others had. And this unconventional ability that I discovered, that defined my capability as a painter was my patience. My patience married perfectly the art of pointillism my artistic educators bequeathed upon us in our final years in school. Pointillism can be simply understood as the art of painting with dots. As we all have heard the famous words, that an ocean is formed from a multitude of tiny droplets of water, so was a pointillism painting formed with an innumerable array of dots by a simple pen (of which the Atlas chooty black gel pen was my choice), that revealed the artist’s hidden image in an unconventional way. This unusual style became my output of creativity and imagination.

Tok… tok… tok… said my pen as it scratched the surface of the canvass, while my mother uttered in the next room “There… she’s up and working again… been almost a month neh?”. Yes reader, now you can imagine why I’m constantly faced with a recurrent question “How aren’t you annoyed right now?” as a pointillist painting of a considerable size would take up weeks to finish, according to my experience I should add. Although, the basic image is already drawn upon the canvass to guide the rest of the creation, each dot needs careful calculation and precise positioning to fit the image. From a cluster of dots that are subsequently shaded to a few scatterings, each dot commands respect in placing it perfectly. Slow… slow… weeks go by of tok… tok… tok… in the morning, tok… tok… tok… in the afternoon and tok… tok… tok… in the night. I bet reading this sentence itself annoyed you, didn’t it reader? XD. I must admit, I myself undergo certain moments of temper tantrums when faced with technical difficulties of pens that suddenly stop working or when lines are produced instead of dots. Yet, a few patient moments of recuperating my interest and love for this kind of art, knowing the end result is worth all the hassle, I continue to push my boulder up the hill as Sisyphus did, striving to overcome the task one day (although Sisyphus didn’t and I bet he’s still pushing the boulder up the hill somewhere in the Greek hell :D).

In the end reader, however tiresome or annoying the task was, your patience is always rewarded. Once you remove all the messy bits and the weird lines, the beautiful image you constructed up in your mind is unearthed in the once blank canvass. And reader, you just know when looking at it, it was all worth it!



4 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm not a good painter but I hope I can do better in sewing (esp. cross stitching) than in drawing. I have the same problem as you...I'm not good at drawing human images..they are always 2D :P But, I have tried drawing sketches in gel pens which came out wonderfully. :)

    The same question is asked from me,“How are you so patient? How can you be so careful? How are you not annoyed right now?” when someone sees my drawings or cross stitches. I always reply them with a smile as I don't have an exact answer for their questions. The passion comes from the bosom of my heart and it makes me interested in engaging in the task.

    Since childhood, all these leisure time activities have shaped me up with patience. Still, apart from my leisure time, I sew a couple of cross stitches or draw a rough sketch whenever i'm stressed or when I am angry or sad. It's the best mental solace I know apart from meditating on natural scenery. In a way, this is another kind of meditation for it helps me to control my mind in times of distress.

    So, yeah, I agree with you Lihini...after all sleepless nights and neck pains, it's all worth it ! Whenever, I see my drawings and cross stitching designs, a streak of bliss fills in my heart...that I'm the proprietor of a wonderful artistic creation...that I'm the owner of all the patience and commitment vested in that piece of art.

    So, dear reader, you might not be a skilled painter nor a talented sewing person. But still, you can take pride in your own creation. It could be your pillow poetry or a meal cooked by you. Or else, simply, it could be your assignment answer/dissertation. At the end of the day, you just have to remember that your patience- it's worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohhhh I love cross-stitch too. I am not a pro at it, self-taught basically, but actually really has a calming effect on your body, just as the dots :)

      Delete
  2. Love this piece of work <3 , jeez , it looks like an age old handicraft from an ancient civilisation or a museum! Well, patience is a virtue that I really lack as an individual , more often than not in life. However, in the recent past , I have understood one thing " Good things take time" Guess , that has some connection to what you are saying about patience in arts and craft as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactlyyyyyy Naveen :)
      I was relating a personal experience, but the message was a common one. And yes, I was inspired our traditional patterns of the nelum an liyawal designs you see in our old temples :)
      It's a sort of a inspiration from our temple moonstones

      Delete